Changes, they are a-coming...

Recently, I've started putting the feelers out for other work opportunities. A couple of prospects seem quite promising, and while it's exciting to think about transitioning into something new, it's creating a lot of anxiety as well because it will require me having to make some big decisions, all by myself...a skill I have yet to fully master.

There are other correctional centres (at a higher level of government) that might be available and that I have been told I would be a very good candidate for, given my experience. I submitted a resume and a good friend who works there already says she put in a good word for me. It's been several weeks and I haven't yet heard anything back...... even though the hiring manager pushed my friend to push me to get my resume in ASAP. I'm  weary of the time it's taken for him to get back to me and I'm wondering how viable an option this will really wind up being.

The more promising option is this. I recently met with a friend-of-an-acquaintance who is looking to expand his long-running and reportedly very successful private practice. He seemed really interested learning more about me and  what I might have to offer (which is little in the way of practical experience, but much in the way of enthusiasm and willingness to learn). He's asked to keep in touch and perhaps our professional paths will cross again in the future. If what he says is true, I would have the opportunity to learn more about assessments, other counselling methodologies beyond the once I currently use in my own practice, and have the opportunity to move toward expand my own client base after initially starting with his referrals. It sounds promising...but almost a little too promising, and I'm a little hesitant to just jump right in.

I've always known this about myself, but it's becoming more and more apparent that I am horribly bad at making executive decisions for myself. I have a tendency, as I'm sure many do, to over-analyze, obsess about, weigh, re-weigh, then question my weighing of the pros and cons of each alternative to the point that it becomes an overwhelming task to choose one over the others. 

The problem with this particular decision is whether I'm willing to venture into the world of full-time private practice at this point in my life, or whether it would be better to remain in a government position which, while not overly glamorous or lucrative, provides
  • stability/predictability,
  • guaranteed pay,
  • regular hours, and
  • medical/dental benefits.
On the other hand, in a private business venture, the work might be slow and unsteady (especially at first), if clients don't show up I won't get paid, and hours might be longer (especially up front). But I'd be my own boss eventually, and would have the potential to earn much more money and gain much more flexibility with my hours and the type of work I choose to do/clients I choose to see.

Is the potential benefit worth the risk?

What would you do if you were me? 

Comments

  1. You are obviously very motivated and thoughtful about your career. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment