Check-in calls - yay or nay?


I have been out of the private practice loop for a couple of months now because I haven't been getting too many referrals. I have a couple of 'regular' clients who generally tend to book every one to three weeks with me, but they haven't called to rebook sessions for a while now. I've thought about calling them to  'check in' since it's been so unlike them to leave so much time between sessions, but am torn as to whether this would be a good idea or not.

On the one hand, check-in calls could reassure clients that you're there for them even when they aren't physically in session with you, and that you cared enough to follow up and see if they're okay. They might feel appreciative of having the opportunity to talk about anything troubling or stressful that might be going for them, and the call could serve as a friendly reminder that support remains available should they wish to resume therapy in the future.

On the other hand, checking in could be construed as intrusive or an over-stepping of boundaries. Clients might feel the need to defend or make excuses as to why they have chosen not to resume therapy, or feel badly about hurting the therapist's feelings if they consciously chose to stop coming for a particular reason. Another potential outcome is that some clients, such as those who have boundary issues, might feel pressured to agree to continue sessions because they feel bad 'no', even if they would rather not see you again.

In addition, I see one of my primary objectives as a therapist to empower and encourage clients to make the choices that they feel are best for them. It would follow, then, that I need to have faith in my clients and to believe that they also know what's best for them in terms of their treatment, or self-termination of it. Perhaps in some exceptional circumstances, such as when a session left off on a negative note or if I was concerned about my client's safety, health, or well-being, I might be more comfortable with making a check-in phone call... but I think I've decided to avoid it as a general course of practice, at least for the time being.

Comments